Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Do goats quit eating when they are in labor?

This is another question I found on the toolbar, so I'll attempt to answer it. Every goat is its own little weirdo. I have some goats that will chew their cud up until it's time to deliver. I have some that will push a little a day or two before they kid. I have a couple that don't even bag up until it's time to burst. Some have huge bags a month before they go into labor. Every goat is different. I've had some eat grain while they were in labor.  When I discover a little lady in labor she gets put into a clean jug with water and nothing to eat.  The goal is to get the kidd(s) out alive, not to feed mom.  I'm not going to get into how to deliver a kidd, but the answer to that question would be yes, they do eat when they are in labor.

 I have read that you can help to determine what time of day a goat kidds. The literature stated that a goat won't kid on a full stomach. I haven't tried it yet, but you are supposed to pull their hay or grain so that they are on empty when it's time to pop.  Mine have 900lbs of free choice hay in front of them. They typically kidd during the afternoon or 3am. It's worth a try if you have an appointment and won't be around during certain hours. But I would not try it just to try it. 

Brownie, a month and a half before kidding twins

No comments:

Post a Comment